Event Location: Liberty Middle School, 6801 Union Mill Rd, Clifton
Event date: Saturday, January 25, 2020
Event times: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Map: Liberty Middle School
This event is for Division I, II and III Teams
Using a competition-like setting, teams will solve two spontaneous problems (verbal, verbal/hands-on, or hands-on) and receive feedback from judges on the creativity of their responses, teamwork, and areas for improvement. Working in pairs, teams will have a chance to observe alternate teams solve different problems. This provides teams and coaches an invaluable learning experience not available during competition. No scores or awards will be provided during this workshop! Note: each team MUST provide a volunteer-judge to help us make this workshop successful.
In the workshop environment, coaches are encouraged to attend (limit two in the room) with their team as they solve each problem. This provides coaches the opportunity to watch the team in a competition-like setting to aid in future training at home using our FREE Spontaneous Kit.
Coaches, we suggest you serve as the volunteer-judge! As volunteer-judge you will serve for two sessions (morning or afternoon) and will watch four teams perform two problems. So, find a co-coach or parent to monitor your team as coach for the day. The way we assign volunteer-judges, you may not get to see your team but you will gain valuable spontaneous training watching other teams.
Why don’t we allow teams primary teams? The objective of this event is to give divisional teams that might advance to the state competition additional practice with the spontaneous competition. Primary teams do not advance to states. Primary teams are schedules time to participate in spontaneous on tournament day. Please remember that Odyssey is a life-long process and young team have this opportunity again next year.
How do we assign teams? We match teams based on the grade of the oldest team member and years of team experience. We try our best to have both teams have a GREAT experience during this workshop.
REGISTRATION: is first come, first serve by session online. Bookings close on 16 February at 6 PM. Teams should arrive 10-15 minutes before the session start times listed below:
- Session 1 – Team Arrival: 8:40 — Departure: 10:10
- Session 2 – Team Arrival: 10:30 — Departure: 12:00
- Session 3 – Team Arrival: 1:20 — Departure: 2:50
- Session 4 – Team Arrival: 3:10 — Departure: 4:40
ELIGIBILITY: Any Odyssey of the Mind team from Division I, II or III. (Again, no Primary Teams – see comments above) Partial teams and substitute coaches should attend if the whole team isn’t available. Each team MUST attend with at least one coach or parent who will be with the team at all times AND a volunteer-judge to help us make this workshop successful. Please leave non-participating children at home.
VOLUNTEER-JUDGE: Each team MUST provide a volunteer-judge (age 18+) to participate. (We suggest this be the real team coach.) The volunteer-judges will receive training before the workshop session so prior judging experience is not required. Volunteer-judges will serve during two sessions to make this workshop successful. Again, coaches can be the volunteer-judge but you must find someone to monitor your team in your place. Childcare will not be provided.
Volunteer-judges must arrive early for training according to the team scheduled session time.
- For teams attending Sessions 1 and 2 – Volunteer-judge MUST arrive by 7:30 AM and will be done at 12:10 PM.
- For teams attending Sessions 3 and 4 – Volunteer-judge MUST arrive by 12:30 PM and will be done at 4:45 PM.
- Volunteer-judges, please bring your coffee, water, soda, etc. We do NOT provide food or beverages.
- All cell phones will be silenced during the workshop.
- Only team members and coaches (limit two) will be allowed in the training rooms.
- All team members participate in the problem solution.
- Parents and any non-team members may NOT go to the training rooms.
- NO FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED – SERIOUSLY!!! Anyone found with food will be ask to take it outside!
COST: $80 per team – no PayPal service fees. No refunds after January 1, 2020.
Sorry, the event is fully booked.